Friday, December 2, 2011

Home Page


My name is Dakota Wallen; I am a Triple major at the University of Idaho, studying anthropology, history, and secondary education. Ultimately my goal is to become a professor of anthropology (with an emphasis in archaeology) someday.


As a requirement for my anthropology degree I must take Sociology 101. To fulfill a requirement of that course I have started this blog which will address some issues in sociology.


Sociology has a very simple definition for such a complex field; sociology is defined as the study of human behavior in society. I am interested in sociology because it is relevant to everybody's everyday life. Having a basic understanding of sociology would help many people to understand the world around them and be more understanding of the actions of other people, and cultures. The more we understand the people around us, the fewer conflicts there will be.

Here is a good quote about sociology:

Emile Durkheim (n.d.) once said "Man is a moral being, only because he lives in society. Let all social life disappear and morality will disappear with it."

References:

Durkheim, Emile (n.d.). [Quotation]. Retrieved from http://www.engled101.com/quotes.html.

1 comment: